Print this page

2014: Street Name Plates

Monmouth Street plate 01, 1991 version.

The Trust's street name plates, installed in the summer of 2014, incorporate the Golden Hind symbol of the ancient parish of St Giles-in-the-Fields and feature the historic names of Seven Dials' streets. The project involved a great deal of attention to detail, walkabouts and a long ladder to measure each position before the signs could be ordered. They were manufactured by A.J. Wells in the Isle of Wight - manufacturers of London Underground's signage. The quality is exceptional and they make a handsome addition to the area.

We believe that this is the first time a London council has agreed area street name plates, demonstrating Camden's involvement in our efforts to harmonise street furniture and illuminate the history of our area. 

The project cost £17,000 and was funded by the St Giles Deed of Variation Section 106 Community Facilities Fund and Shaftesbury PLC.

Changing names in and around Seven Dials

  Shelton Street (1938-present) was Castle Street (1691-1938)

  Short's Gardens (1906-present) was Queen Street (18th and 19th centuries) and Church Street (on 1691 plan - no church was built)

  Earlham Street (1938-present) was Earl Street, Great and Little (18th and 19th centuries) and Earle Street (on 1691 plan)

  Neal Street (1886-present) was King Street (1691-1886)

  Mercer Street (1938-present) was White Lion Street, Great and Little (18th and 19th centuries) and Little Monmouth Street (on 1691 plan)

  Shaftesbury Avenue (1886-present) was built over what was Dudley Street (1845-56), and Monmouth Street (1691-1800s)

  Monmouth Street (1938-present) was St Andrew's Street, Great and Little (1691-1938)

  Neal's Yard (18th and 19th century- present) was Spring Head Court (on 1691 plan)

  West Street (18th and 19th century to present) was White Lyon St (on 1691 plan)

  Cucumber Alley (present) was Neale's Passage (18th and 19th century) and Coucumber Alley (on 1691 plan)

  Tower Court (1938-present) was Lombard or Lumber Court (18th and 19th century) and White Lyon St (on 1691 plan)

Read 7828 times